Kill your boredom and spend quality time with friends and family with one of these 12 best 3 player board games.
Board games offer quick amusement and family time if you need a break from the monotony of life. Board games are thrilling, activate happy hormones, and kill boredom. Besides, these games bring families together and allow you to play as a team. Not only that, you can invite your friends over a long session of the game to feel refreshed.
Board games are also effective in boosting your intellectual level due to the different strategies required to play the games. These games come for all age groups, from kids to teens to adults; you will find games appropriate for different age groups. Let us look at the 12 best 3 player board games and how you can play them.
3 Player Board Games Top Picks
1. Original SEQUENCE Game – Game For Three Players
To have a fun and captivating time with your family, get this amazing board game to bring all the friends and family members closer. This is basically a strategic game where you have to make a sequence of chips. It is affordable and consists of two folding boards, cards, and chips. It also comes with a game playing guide which makes it easy to understand for first-time players.
This game is a mixture of board and card games which you can play as teams or individual players. You have to play cards and make a sequence of 5 cards for which you have to place one chip in its specific place. You win the game by completing a sequence of 5 diagonals, rows, or columns until you reach the score that is set for you.
The sequence game also comes with eight jacks that serve as wild cards and anti-wild cards. To win this game, you need to wisely choose the gaming strategy which will allow you to reach the sequence as early as possible. You can play this game with your friends, families and many more to have an amusing time out of boredom.
Overall, this is an incredible board game that you can play as a team or individually. It allows for a nice escape from the daily grind of life. This board game is a mixture of card and board games. You require strategies to apply to your game to win it. Lastly, it comes with an easy-to-understand guide allowing you to understand the working of the game conveniently.
2. Catan Board Game – 3 Person Board Games
If you are into building empires and civilizations and are drawn towards discoveries and history, then this board game will be your best friend. This board game will take you to the old times where civilizations, discoveries, and many other inventions were taking foot. It is a three-player game in which all the players are battling for power, making societies, and much more.
This game is called Catan because it makes a Catan island by placing hexagonal tiles on a large hexagonal board. These tiles consist of forests, deserts, islands, houses, mountains, and much more. The game’s strategy is that you start by placing the small hexagonal tiles in the empty spaces on the large board to start the civilization. It’s like you are starting your own settlement as people did in golden times.
Now, the small hexagons consist of numbers; now, each settler is meant to roll the dice; the number of the dice stands for resources. The number of the dice determines which hexagon number takes the resources. The resources include roads, bricks, grain fields, pastures, and much more. The more resources you get, the better you as a settler flourishes in the game.
For instance, if you get roads, pastures, and fields, that means your property is expanding, which helps you build a civilization. This board game also includes trading with your opponents, which helps you make wise decisions in real life. It’s a perfect 3 player board game that helps your train for good decision making. This game is designed for ages 10 and older, and it takes a total of 1 hour to complete the game. The winner of the game is the one with more points.
Overall, this is one of the best 3 player board games as it is extremely satisfying and thrilling to play. 3 or more players can play this game and bring all the family members to close together. Additionally, this board game is for ages 10 and onwards, so you can say it is pretty inclusive. Lastly, this board game increases your decision-making capabilities which is incredible.
3. Scrabble Game – 3 Player Tabletop Games
We are sure everyone is well aware of this game since we all have played it in our childhood and even now as it is extremely satisfying. We love this game because it increases your intellectual capacity and vocabulary, as all it includes is making new words. This game is decades old and still never goes out of trend because many psychologists encourage parents to purchase this game for their kids.
It comes with one board and 100 letter tiles with which you make the words. Besides that, you also get four tile racks, a bag for the tiles, and a guide that tells you the rules and instructions about the game. This game can be played by 2, 3, or more players. You can even play the game as a team. Rest assured that all the parts of this game are made with high-quality material and are safe to use.
Now, all the players must take out letter tiles from the bag, whosoever gets the alphabet A or any alphabet close to A gets to make the first word. After that, all the players will make a new word from the alphabet of the first word. Every letter has points, so you will need to note down all the points on paper. Who has the most points is the winner of the game. You can apply different strategies in the game.
Overall, this decades-old game is all you need to kill the boredom and have a fun and quality time with your friends and family. This board is made with high-quality wood; therefore, it will last longer. Besides, this game is perfect for increasing your vocabulary and also releases your anxieties in several ways. All in all, this is one of the best 3 player board games you will find online.
4. Blue Orange Games Photosynthesis Board Game
For people who fancy plants and nature, this game is specifically made for them. This is a 2 to 4 player board game and allows for great family and friends time. So basically, it is a strategy board game that includes the life cycle of plants and trees. It helps the young ones to grow to become environmentalists as it is a clever way to compel people to love plants and trees.
In this game, you have to plant a seed and complete the life cycle of your plant to get points. This board game requires patience and clever strategies to get to the desired place. It has two phases: the photosynthesis phase and the life cycle of the plant. As photosynthesis is crucial to plants, you need to get light points to provide light to your seedlings and plants.
You have to put a seed in the correct place and ensure that no tree blocks the sunlight coming to your seedling. In the second phase, you will have many points to buy plants. You can also buy more trees and create a full forest. With the expansion of trees, you get points. The player with more points becomes the winner of the game.
Overall, this board game might be your next favorite due to its convenient strategies and beautiful scenery. It is suitable for kids as well as adults and is too soothing to play with. This game is perfect for someone who loves gardening and has a knack for planting and gardening. It can be played by 2 to 4 players and de-stresses you in so many ways.
This is another board game built specifically for people who adore planting trees, agriculture, farming, and much more. It is a two-player game but can be played by three to four players as well. This board game instills knowledge and interest in agriculture, crop growth, gardening, etc. this game is a fun way to spare some time from the daily grind and have some merry time with your family.
It takes a total of 120 minutes to end this game, and we love this game because you act as a family in it. For instance, one member takes the role of head of the family, also known as a farmer, in the game. The farmer and his family live in a wooden shelter and are meant to support his family. They do so by planting trees, harvesting crops, etc.
You can also build fences and, in return, get things to support your family. This board game comes with 360 cards, 9 boards, more than 5o tiles tokens, a scouring pad, etc. there are multiple harvest phases that help you feed your family. Remember, it takes a lot of critical thinking as you need to feed the livestock as well. This board game is recommended for ages 12 and above.
If you fancy farming and agriculture, then this game is best for you. This board game comes with a lot of components that are made with durable and safe material. Besides, this game is a product of great mental processes. It takes critical thinking to carry out the game. Lastly, this game helps you tap on multiple parts of your brain, for which it is called one of the best 3 player board games.
6. Lords of Waterdeep
Next up, we have an amazing and thrilling board game for all the adventurers out there. So basically, this game requires political thinking, adventure, bravery, battles, and much more. It is set in deep waters, in the great city, and a kingdom known as the jewel of the forgotten realms. Think of this game as kingdoms thriving for wealth, popularity, fame, and much more.
This board game is our favorite because it is captivating and keeps you hooked for the longest. Besides, it also examines how you think and makes you a strategic person and a critical thinker. What you have to do is win as many points as possible by earning resources and assets. The person who has the most points is the winner of the game.
Each player goes on a quest, earns resources, and expands their cities by making buildings and much more. The package comes with 130 wooden cubes, 121 intrigue, role cards, and quest cards. Moreover, you also get pawns, score pieces, and much more for the game. 2 to five players can play this game for extreme fun.
It is safe to say that this is one of the best 3 player board games you will find online as it is extremely refreshing. This game instills patience and deep thinking in an individual due to multiple strategies applied to it. Besides, it is a miniature portrayal of the facts about how things worked in kingdoms. Lastly, this game is straightforward to understand and play.
7. Ticket to Ride Board Game
The last one from our best 3 player board games review list is Ticket to Ride Board Game, made for the people who love adventures. This 3 player board game takes from 30 to 60 minutes to end and includes many game components. For instance, it comes with American train routes maps, 30 tickets, 110 train car cards, and 240 train cars. Besides that, it also comes with a guide that helps you comprehend the game.
To win the game, you need to gather a matching colored train card that will allow you to go on a train route. The train routes are set in North America, and the routes connect the North American cities. All these train routes you get lend you points, the person with more points wins the game. You can also complete missions with which you can earn points.
This board game also requires 2 to 5 players, each player in the game is given three tickets and four cards. The train cards stand for cities, and the goal is to connect the cities through the train routes. The person who has covered the longest route earns the most points and stands as a game-winner.
If you want your children to learn about different cities and train routes in North America, then this game is best for them. It can not only be played by kids but also by adults as it is extremely educational. Besides, this game is also strategic and thrilling. This board game is very well built and uses high-quality material, making it last longer.
How to Pick the Right Board Games for Yourself
As simple as it might look, board games need a lot of homework before making the actual purchase for yourself. You should always look for age-appropriate board games, as one game might not be for all. Besides, there are some other factors that you need to consider before buying one for yourself. Some of those factors are listed below.
The first and foremost thing you need to consider is age appropriation. Not all board games are specific for all age groups. Some of them are meant to be played by kids, some for teens while others for adults. Therefore you need to make sure you are getting the right board game for yourself or your kids. For instance, some games are so complex that young children can’t play them. Whereas others are exclusively for adults; therefore, they are not meant for adults.
How Many Players Will Be Playing
The next thing you need to consider is the number of players who can play the game. There are two-player games and more that allows for extreme fun and amusement. For instance, you have 3 to 4 kids, and you want a board game for them, so make sure you get a 4 player game. The more players it can accommodate, the better the board game is. In this article, we are specifically talking about 3 player board games; therefore, look for the game that 4 people can play.
By time span, we mean the amount of time a board game takes to end. Some board games take as long as 2 hours to end, while others may end before an hour. This decision completely relies on the person purchasing it. If you want a game to end quickly before you start another, you can choose the one that takes shorter. Whereas you also have a lot of options in board games that take longer to end.
This factor is a bit related to age appropriation. Board games are divided into very complicated strategic and less complicated games. The less complicated games can be played by young teens and kids. Whereas strategic games are meant to be played by adults as they contain many rules and other stuff that only adults can understand. At the end of the day, you have to decide which board game you want to buy.
Are board games good for your brain?
Board games have been proven to be good for brain functioning as they stimulate the parts of your brain. They indulge your brain in thinking and carrying out complex thought processes. It also engages your brain in decision-making and strategic thinking, which is essentially good for all.
Are board games good for your mental health?
While board games can sometimes be overwhelming, they play a great role in releasing your anxieties and stress. Board games engage your brain to make decisions. Also, board games allow your friend and family to come closer and spend time together, which positively affects your brain and body.
What are the disadvantages of board games?
Just because something is beneficial doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have its setbacks. Board games also come with some disadvantages. Board games are extremely addictive for one. You might feel laid-off after the game is over. They are also very distracting and might deflect you from doing your important tasks. Lastly, some board games last longer, which might waste your precious time.
Board games are a fun way of bringing family and friends together and having a mirthful time together. Board games are durable, thrilling, and strategic, allowing you to tap on different parts of your brain and instill critical thinking in individuals. We have listed the 7 best 3 player board games in the article, out of which these three are our top picks.
Original SEQUENCE Game because it is a board game and card game combined, also it is easy to understand and affordable.
Catan Board Game because it instills good decision-making in individuals and educates people about civilizations.
Scrabble Game because it is very popular and educative and helps increase your vocabulary.
All in all, board games will kill your boredom and bring your family together to spend quality time together. The board games mentioned above are manufactured by some of the most reliable companies and are very well built. They are very informative and increases your brain capacity by improving your critical thinking and much more.
Take a look at these board games for 3 players from Amazon also:
- COLORFUL PEGS: Have a colorful ride In this game the pegs come in 6 different colors for players to pop friends and family into their car as they travel around the gameboard
- KIDS CAN PICK THEIR OWN PATH: Buckle up and take a spin! In this fun family board game, every crossroad brings exciting twists, turns, and adventures
- MAKE CHOICES: Players get to make some big life decisions They can choose whether or not to go to college, to get married, grow their family, or retire early
- WILL IT PAY TO INVEST: Players can take a chance to grow their money by investing in numbers on the board Get paid every time someone spins that number
- FUN KIDS GAME FOR 2-4 PLAYERS: The Game of Life game is great for parties, game night, or homeschool fun. The game is for 2-4 players and makes an exciting indoor activity for kids ages 8 and up
- QUICKLY COLLECT RESOURCES, RESEARCH TECHNOLOGIES, BUILD WONDERS, AND PREPARE FOR WAR! Age of Civilization is a streamlined pocket card game version of the well-known civilization game for 1-4 players. Unlike other card games each player can play as 3 civilizations in 30 minutes!
- UNIQUE GAMING MECHANISM ALLOYS FOR AMAZING REPLAYABILITY - The set-up for every game is greatly different, providing a high replay-ability to players. Players will have to analyse the characteristics of every era you are facing and make the best choice for your kingdom development.
- DEVELOPS YOUR CRITICAL SKILLS - During the game, players will have use the cards to reveal different challenges to overcome. Each kingdom has different strengths and weaknesses and you will need your wit and determination to develop a culture for your people, build your empire and conquer for glory!
- WHO IS THIS GAME FOR? Age of Civilization is the perfect board game for adults teens and kids who are into turn based strategy games, especially those who want a quick game in 30 minutes or less!
- TRUSTED BY FANS WORLDWIDE - Over 10,000 backers backed us in Kickstarter. AOC ranks 895 in the Strategy Game Rank and the average rating is 7.3 on Boardgamegeek website.
- Bluff your way to victory in this hilarious new dice game! Bamboozled is party style bluffing game where players must roll the dice and tie or beat the previous player, but if they don't they have to bluff!
- Each players starts with 3 lives. If you get caught bluffing, you lose a life, but if you get away with a bluff, you get a Bamboozled Card. Cards can help you get out of a bind, change the dice, or even give you a life back.
- Make sure to watch our how to play video! Only takes 3 minutes to learn and 15 minutes to play! Great for a quick game night, but don't be surprised if it lasts all night for those that want to get revenge!
- A fast and fun new game that is great for kids, teens, adults, families, parties, game nights, and pretty much everything in-between. We've even included simplified rules to include players younger than 8
- So, get your family or friends together and start Bamboozling. You might be surprised who can bluff and get away with it. Now go get your game face on, Bamboozled is waiting.
- Competitive, card-driven, engine-building board game.
- Challenging strategy game recommended for those ages 14 plus
- Game includes 170 unique bird cards, 26 bonus cards and 16 Automa cards, 103 food tokens and 75 egg minatures, 5 custom wooden dice and 5 palyer mats, 1 birdfeeder dice tower and 2-piece Game Trayz custom tray, 1 goal mat and 8 goal tiles, 1 first-player token and 40 action cubes, 4 clear plastic resource containers, 1 scorepad, and 3 rulebooks.
- Product measures 11.5 x 11.5 x 3 inches.
- English (Publication Language)
- 160 CHALLENGES: Ever had the satisfaction of throwing a paper ball in the bin from across the room? Well, that feeling is what this game is all about. Bet on your skills with solo challenges, battle royales, buddy ups, and duels.
- FAST & FRENZIED FUN: Win by betting on your ability to successfully complete a series of ridiculous dexterity-based challenges. With a variety of tricky and outrageous challenges to test your skills, this board game will have you hooked in seconds.
- FAMILY FRIENDLY: Great for kids and adults alike—all players attempt the exact same challenges, so get ready for the ultimate battle of abilities. Suitable for ages 9+, recommended 2-8 players.
- EASY TO LEARN: Takes just seconds to learn, guarantees hours of belly busting laughter!
- INCLUDES: 160 Challenge Cards, 80 Betting Tokens, 10 Cups, 5 Balls, 4 Dice, Chopsticks, Memo Pad, Tape Measure, Sand Timer
- Pandasaurus Games Sonora is the first FLICK & WRITE game. Perfect for adults, teens, and kids that like to skillfully explore the vast beauty of the Sonorian desert and unlock all its secrets.
- The newest board game from the makers of Machi Koro, The Mind, and The Game which sold over 3.5 million copies worldwide.
- High player interaction makes for the perfect Game Night. A riot you and your friends will never forget. Flick discs into the right quadrant to score points on your dry erase sheet.
- Go on a journey to the many vibrant landscapes of Sonora where each area encompasses a unique game in the region of the players choosing.
- It takes 5 minutes to learn, 30-45 minutes to play, and it's wonderful for 2-4 players (ages 10+). Includes a game board, a players score pad, and 20 wooden player tokens.
- HOW TO PLAY: If you've ever heard a word that's caused you to spontaneously break into song, then Spontuneous is for you! The rules are simple. Each player writes down several Trigger Words on their Hit List. When it's your turn, you announce a word from your list and flip the timer. The first player to sing at least 5 words from any song containing the Trigger Word gets to advance on the board. Stay alert for those extra musical challenge spaces scattered throughout the board!
- WHOLE FAMILY FUN: Spontuneous is fun for the whole family! Because of the easy game play and 30-minute average play time, this game holds the attention of even the most skeptical game night party goer. Anyone who knows a few songs will excel at Spontuneous, whether a kid, teen, or adult. It's sure to become your next family game night classic!
- FUN FOR ANY SEASON: Spontuneous fits perfectly into any party, trip, or family get-together. Going camping? Unplug for the evening and play around the campfire. At your child's next birthday party, pull Spontuneous out to entertain the kids until the pizza arrives. Bored on a rainy day? Spend your time laughing with your family and friends of any age as you try to think of your next song. Spontuneous can go with you anywhere, from home to your vacation.
- TALENT NOT REQUIRED: Feel shy or awkward about singing? No worries! Spontuneous brings out the star in everyone. Sing it or shout it—there's no vocal talent required to play this game. Knowing some lyrics to the most basic songs, old tunes, or even nursery rhymes is the only thing you need to enjoy this game. You don't even have to name that tune! Just draw on your memory for some music containing the given Trigger Word, and you'll be a winner in no time!
- UNPLUG & INTERACT: Spontuneous is a fantastic way for large or small groups of families, friends, and more to come together without electronics and spend quality time together. Nothing is better than unplugging and laughing with a group of your favorite people over a board game and making new memories. Choose Spontuneous for your next game night, gathering, or family home night.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.