As our son has started to get older, one of the unexpected questions my husband and I have found ourselves asking is what do we do with him?! Once you exit the newborn stage, your baby is awake longer in-between naps, and therefore you need activities to keep your baby entertained during those wake windows. As first-time parents, this was never something we thought about in the planning stage. Below we have put together some easy and cost-effective solutions that we have found to be excellent activities to keep your baby entertained. This list is for baby’s 3-6 months, as our son gets older, we will be sure to add additional activities to keep your baby entertained as we discover them!
I included links for items to purchase as a means to help others conduct each activity. For example, I’ll link to the baby carrier (the item) we have and recommend so you can go for a walk (the activity) with baby on your chest. Still, you probably already have most of these items at home, so just ignore the product links if so!
The Best Activities to do to Keep Baby Entertained
1. Go For A Walk
One of the best activities to keep your baby entertained, and something healthy for mom and dad is to go on a walk! While it can feel daunting to pack the baby up, organize the stroller or put them in a carrier, the fresh air and sensory stimulation does wonders and helps to set you up for success for the next nap of the day. We recommend heading out right after a bottle, but well before nap time if you do not want them to fall asleep on the way.
In the early baby days (before three months) when our son was taking many, many naps a day, we would go out in the stroller and hope for the baby to do a nap then. These days, we try and time them before he falls asleep so that we can take advantage of the quiet time when he naps in his crib. I also find that on the days when I am too lazy to deal with the stroller, I like the below baby carrier which I can just put the baby in. It serves as an excellent activity to keep your baby entertained:
- Excellent comfort with built-in back support and waist belt
- Easy to put on and take off
- Soft and airy design in cool 3D mesh
- Carry facing in or facing out on your front
- Easy to lift out your sleeping baby
2. Catch Up On Your Reading
Reading is another one of our favorite activities to keep our baby entertained. We make a point to read at least once per day, and we have fun with it, reading pages out of order and letting our son play and grab at the books, so he enjoys it too. He has also started to love putting any and everything into his mouth, and we have found soft books are a great solution to keep him entertained because he can both crinkle the books, and also put them in his mouth. If you do not have crinkly books, anything works! We will often even read pages from the adult books we are reading to keep us more entertained, and hearing and seeing the words is still excellent for the baby – even if a bit more complicated!
- ★MY FIRST SOFT BOOK - Baby first book teaches your little one how different things feel by touch with these soft books, and teaches them basic reading and comprehension,These cloth activity book also stimulate baby first year memory.
- ★MULTIPLE THEMES IN ONE PACKAGE - No need to search for various books,Our early development toys (12 packs) are ready for your baby:sea world,animal world,number,vegetable,fruit,vehice shapes,nature ,visual training,expression,colors,wearing.
- ★ALL FOR BABY'S SAFE - Our cloth book is totally safe for your baby,Made of high quality of fabric,which is light, non-toxic, durable, tear-resistant and washable.Because babies put everything into their mouth, the quality of this book is extremely important.
- ★PERFECT BABY SHOWER GIFT - Sharing these soft books offers both parents and baby a perfect opportunity to bond in a warm and loving way. You can read these books with your little one, lead it to discover new things and explore this new world, teach it how to recognize and speak the words.It is a perfect gift, a delight kid activity book or baby book set.
- ★CUSTOMER SATISFACTION IS TOP PRIORITY - Any problem you encounter or any suggestion you get, please contact with our customer service; and our service team is always ready to offer help!100% Quality Warranty:You can get a full refund if you are not satisfied.
3. Tummy Time on the Playmat
Another great activity to keep your baby entertained is a playmat – we have gotten a lot more use out of ours then we initially expected as it truly does grow with your baby. We use the playmat below which is easily washable, soft and can be folded up and stored if you are low on space. A great feature of the playmat is the fact your baby can enjoy it both indoors and outdoors. We often will take it outside so that we can keep our baby entertained while we are spending time in the backyard.
- Nature inspired activity center is packed with 17 developmental activities and 13 loops to hang, baby toys low, high or on the mat
- Playmat surface features multiple fabrics plus activities on the mat: crinkle leaves, squeaker flower and baby safe mirror in the tree trunk (mirror is removable for machine washing)
- Five hanging toys attach to 13 easy-to-hang loops offering irresistible multi-sensory play for baby or infant at every stage of development
- Baby gym takes two minutes to assemble/disassemble so you can easily reclaim adult space. Safety tested to meet or exceed astm, cpsia, En71 and applicable safety standards. Size: 36" X 19"H
4. Chew on Sophie the Giraffe
Sophie the Giraffe is something we had heard quite a lot about before we had our baby. Still, I was astonished to learn that not only does the toy help with teething, but it serves as a great activity to keep your baby entertained. Our son will spend huge chunks of his awake time chewing on his giraffe and is the most excited to see it of all of his toys. It serves a dual purpose as teething and grasp aid as well as a toy to keep your baby entertained.
- Sophie la giraffe, the most beloved teether for over 55 years
- Made of 100% natural rubber from the Hevea tree
- On each box, there is a QR code to authenticate your Sophie.
- Inside each box, you'll get: the Sophie story, and a booklet to discover more products
- Sophie's soft texture and numerous chewable parts (ears, horns, legs), makes her perfect for soothing baby's sore gums during teething.
5. Discover and Play Mirror
Another simple toy that will provide you with a great activity to keep your baby entertained is a mirror that you place on your playmat, or ground, to help the baby with tummy time. Our son loves to stare at himself in the mirror, so it gives him a great deal of entertainment while he works on his tummy time and neck building skills. We used this toy before three months as well, as we always gave him something to look at during tummy time. The one below also comes with hooks so that you can have it hang from a car seat or playmat, so it is very versatile. It is an excellent activity to keep your baby entertained!
- Features a large domed mirror with easy to use clips so you can hang it just about anywhere
- Provides entertainment in the car or on the floor with a convenient flip-up stand
- Detachable elephant & lion for put & take play
6. Jump Around
Investing in a baby jumper is a great activity to keep your baby entertained, and the below Baby Einstein brand is the one that we selected, and it has provided hours of entertainment. The jumper is excellent as the baby is smaller because it gives them things to look at and allows them to begin putting weight on their feet. As they get bigger, they can hop around and interact with the toys more, providing fitness, learning and acting as a great activity to keep your baby entertained. The one drawback to this is its size and that it doesn’t compress to be hidden or save space. That said, it has been such an excellent activity to keep our baby entertained that it is not a fixture in our home.
- Dive into discovery with ocean-themed activities in every direction
- Bouncy seat swivels 360° from toy to toy
- 4 height positions are easy to adjust
- Electronic sea turtle station is removable
- Introduces numbers & colors in English, Spanish, French
7. Bath Time
We talked about our love of baths as an activity in this lousy weather activity post, and it is also a great way to keep your baby entertained. Our son is still using a baby bathtub, and therefore there is not a lot of room for toys; however, as your baby gets older, you can also consider putting a rubber duck or using Tupperware to play with.
- Create music, beats and sounds In and out of the bath
- Includes 1 dingray xylophone, 1 octodrum rhythm toy and 2 starfish shakers
- Perfect for gifting -- and engaging young Musical minds
- Upgrade your toddler's bath routine with creative play
- Durable, rust-resistant construction; great for boys and girls 12 months and up
8. Bop About in the Baby Chair
A baby chair is a crucial component as part of activities to keep your baby entertained. It is challenging to know which chair your baby will like – we have included a few we have tried below, but what is most important is that you have a comfortable chair that your baby can sit up in for good chunks of time. This is also important when they are an infant. Once they are a bit older, when they are in their chair, they can play with their stuffed animals, chew on Sophie the Giraffe or chew their books! We will also bring the chairs around the house so that he can watch us cook or help out with work in the home office. A baby chair is an excellent way to keep your baby entertained, especially as you move it around as they will be exposed to all sorts of new things!
- Ergonomic baby bouncer – proper head and back support
- Fun and natural rocking that stimulates your baby’s development
- From 8 lbs/21 in (3.5 kg/53 cm) to 29 lbs (13 kg) (approx. for newborns and toddlers up to the age of 2)
- Three different height positions and one transport mode
- The fabric seat is easy to remove and machine washable; Bouncer Balance Soft complies with the US ASTM F2167 and the EN12790:2009 safety standard.
You ain’t see
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.