Telling spooky stories is a fun thing when we are together with our friends or cousins on a rainy night. A blackout while playing drinking games on such nights adds more fun. However, you don’t have to wait for such nights. If you are having friends over at your place, you can play mystery board games together.
They are fun and exciting. You can set the mood by switching off the lights and lighting the candles.
But which board game to get? You will be confused by looking at the various choices available in the market. And you won’t like to take the risk of getting something boring. So here we are to help you out with your pick.
Top Picks of 2023
1. Secret Murder across Time & Space – Editor’s Pick
It is a mystery board game that requires a total of 6 players. A murder crime has been committed in the NED Company. The total number of suspects is 6 and so are the players. Every single one of them will have a motive. Among these 6 players, only one is the murderer and the remaining 5 will have to find him. Instead of focusing all your energy on finding the murderer, you also need to find the proof of your innocence.
The story is interesting and it is suitable for people above the age of 14. It will take a few hours for you to finish the game. Furthermore, you are supposed to finish it in one sitting. Therefore, it is best for movie nights and friends to hang out and have sleepovers. Furthermore, all 6 players will have their individual tasks too. So finish them to enter the voting.
You can buy one from amazon.com and play once to figure out the full story, we will make sure it is fun for you. Furthermore, you will have the freedom of choosing the character of your choice. You will also have the backstory that all of you will read. Afterward, you will search while completing your individual tasks.
2. Avalon Hill Scooby-Doo in Betrayal at Mystery Mansion
This mystery board is for all Scooby-Doo fans. Finally, you can be the character that you like. Of course, you will get all 5 characters. You can choose to play it with 3 or 5 players. So even if two players are missing, you can still play the game and enjoy your fun time. So choose your character and start chasing after the monsters.
Although this game is suitable for the 8 plus age group, adults can also play it. So if you are a true Scooby-Doo fan, you would like to buy it. In addition to this, this will take around 20 to 30 minutes for you to finish it. So if you do not want to spend hours playing a game, this would be the most suitable choice.
Furthermore, you might have friends who are not a fan of board games, so this will work for non-gamers too. Or you can choose to play it with your kids, a better family time.
You will get the rule book and character cards in the package. If you have been a fan of the betrayal series, you need to have this too. Though it is a simple version, you need it to complete your series. Furthermore, if you are not in the mood to focus, this version will be suitable as it is easier to play.
The 26 rooms that you will get here will make the game fun. But these are standees instead of miniatures so you have to be careful while playing.
3. Hunt a Killer Death at the Dive Bar – Mystery game
Hunt a killer is suitable for the age group 14 and above. This is suitable for people who love solving mystery cases and finding killers through hints. You can become a detective to solve the murder case that happened at the local bar. The suspect is a mysterious masked figure. You can choose to play the game individually or have 4 of your friends join you.
The total number of players is 5 and the time span is about 60 minutes. But again, it depends on your skills and problem-solving ability so see how long it takes you to solve the murder case. The detective will start uncovering the truth and looking into the motives of every suspect. Of course, the detective will get ciphers and clues.
The story and plot are similar to real life and therefore, it will be a fun experience. You will find real evidence and documents. You will use old-fashioned methods and crack the codes by looking at the provided evidence. So look into every detail and solve the mystery.
4. Eldritch Horror Strange Remnants Board Game Expansion
The last one on our list is perfect for rainy nights with sounds of thunder and lightning. Even if it’s not the case, you can set the mood to play this spooky mystery game. The story includes the foreign planet interventions to destroy life on earth. So you will be acting as the superhero to save the Earth.
You will get ancient prophecies that will help you know about it. The ancestors wrote the prophecies and build stone monuments to keep the key safe. You are supposed to uncover the secrets that these ancient buildings have while going through the horrors of these ruins. So give it a try to see what you are capable of
One thing that you should know is that it is an expansion of the original Eldritch Horror board game. Therefore, you will need the base game if you wish to continue with this expansion. You can have 4 of your friends join the game with you.
They will help you out with their spells, artifacts and assets. The total number of players is 8 and the time to complete this game is around 4 hours.
Here are some other interesting models that you might like:
- There's been a murder at the theatre but whodunnit? Work on your detective skills with Talking Tables Murder Mystery Game Kit
- Replayable with 3 alternative endings!
- OCCASION - Perfect for a family games night, dinner party with friends or 1920's themed party! It also makes a great Christmas or Birthday gifts for him, gifts for her, gifts for friends
- CONTENTS - Instruction booklet, Welcome speech, 12 x Place cards, 12x Name cards, 12x Trait cards, 12x Occupation cards, 12x Murder weapon props, 2x Police crime file, 28x Murder clues, 48x Accusation forms, 6x Solutions, 3x Award Trophies
- INSTRUCTIONS - Pick a colour ending and set up the coresponding props, clues and game cards. Follow the instructions to solve the mystery!
- Solve the Poisoning of Nancy Drew: The Mystery at Magnolia Gardens is an immersive puzzle game solving the mystery of who poisoned Nancy Drew
- Mystery Game to Solve an Unsolved Case: Work solo or with friends or family as you solve the mystery; 2/5 difficulty for puzzle game beginners; for ages 14+
- Mystery Boxes for Game Night: Hunt a Killer is perfect for game night or a murder mystery party; our mystery game box has everything for a family game night
- Fun for Hours: Enjoy 1-1.5 hours of gameplay with the Mystery at Magnolia Gardens murder mystery game; suitable for 1-5 players and families
- Immersive Mystery & Crime Games: Change up game night with Hunt A Killer games; story-driven card, puzzle, and board games that will challenge your problem-solving skills
- Can you solve the mystery of Lady Fairmont’s ghost with the help of Mystery Inc. - take on the roles of Scooby-Doo, Shaggy, Velma, Daphne, and Fred as you solve the mystery board game with unique storylines, puzzles, and more
- Work together to decode puzzles to solve the mystery and escape the haunted mansion - this 2-part gameplay experience is great for players of all ages
- Coded Chronicles is an at-home escape room kit that contains everything you need, you provide the room!
- Includes 5 Narrative Books, 13 Map Tiles, 60 Clue Cards, 8 Secret Envelopes, 5 Characters Standees, 1 Mystery Manual
- Players 1-6 | Ages 8+ | 100+ Min Play Time
- BE A COLD CASE DETECTIVE - Unsolved Case Files puts you in the shoes of a cold case detective tasked with solving a murder that happened decades ago with only the original investigator's case file. Think you can find out who really killed Jamie Banks on November 20, 1992? Unsolved Case Files will let you find out once and for all whether you’re as good as the detectives on TV.
- SOLVE 3 MYSTERIES TO CRACK THE CASE - In order to solve this cold case murder mystery game you’ll need to find 3 separate clues that crack open the case. First prove why Jamie wasn't alone when she fell. Then disprove a key suspect's alibi and finally identify the clue that will put the real killer behind bars for the murder. With 3 different mysteries to solve in order to play the game, this case will challenge your investigative abilities.
- OVER 50 INVESTIGATION DOCUMENTS AND PHOTOS - This unsolved case file game includes over 50 evidence photos and documents for you to investigate including newspaper articles, crime scene photographs, evidence report, coroners report, class photo, school newspaper, suspect interrogations, witness statements, character photographs and much more. Everything about this mystery game is fiction, but will feel just like you are a real cold-case detective.
- ONLINE ANSWER KEYS - To get past each step of the case you’ll need to visit an online answer page that requires you to prove you cracked it. If you don’t have the answer right you can keep investigating without being spoiled by the right answers.
- PERFECT FOR INDIVIDUALS, COUPLES, GROUPS & PARTIES - Teen and adult murder mystery fans love the cerebral challenge. Couples looking to escape boring date nights are amazed with the interaction and teamwork that develops when you work together to solve this mystery. It's also the perfect adult mystery game to break out on your next dinner party or family get together. Treat yourself, your partner, your friends or your family to a game experience you can only get with Unsolved Case Files.
- Immerse yourself in a gripping story-based ‘escape room’ style game which arrives in the mail that the whole family will love. Work together to solve the unfolding 'escape room' style mystery, solving creative puzzles, uncovering clues and decoding riddles to help the mysterious “JJ Fitzpatrick” find his family fortune.
- The perfect way to spend time together! Add some excitement to your date night, get-together or family time. Each envelope contains a perfect variety of thoughtfully-designed puzzles suitable for the whole family (ages 10+). With an intuitive balance of paper and digital puzzles, Episode 1 should take your party 1-2 hours to solve. Enhance your experience with the immersive music playlist, and feel free to sneak a peek at the optional clues in case you need a little extra help.
- Experience jaw-dropping “ah-ha” moments! Lose yourself in the intricate details of each clue, then stand back in wonder as the whole episode opens up to you. Escape Mail is brilliantly constructed so that each clue flows into the next, building to a final episode reveal that will leave you stunned and wanting MORE!
- You don't need to go out to have an experience! Each envelope comes packed with all the excitement, suspense, action and mystery of an incredible night out.
- Zero regrets with our Escape Guarantee: you'll love your Escape Mail product or your money back. We stand behind our products, and if for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we offer a full. So what are you waiting for? Jump into episode 1 today!
- Bring Masterchef Into Your Kitchen: Turn Mealtime Into Game Time With This Exciting New Culinary Board Game. Teach Kids Valuable Cooking Skills Through A Series Of Fun Challenges With Delicious Results. Find Out If Your Family Has What It Takes To Become The Ultimate Masterchef
- Take On Epic Cooking Challenges As A Family: Parents And Kids Must Work Together To See If They Can Score Big On The Judge’S Scorecard. Surprise Mini-Game Challenges Will Create Twists And Turns Along The Way And Keep Your Family Entertained From Start To Finish. Ages 7 plus. 2-6 Players To Play
- Includes 22 Family Tested Recipes: Discover New Dishes And Cuisines With 22 Delicious Recipes That Your Family Will Love Cook At Any Time Of The Day With Recipes For Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner And Even Snacks
- What’S Inside: 1 X Masterchef Game Board, 2 X Child-Safe Knives, 1 X Blindfold, 74 X Recipe Cards, 66 X Mystery Ingredient Cards, 66 X Mad Skills Cards, 66 X Game Changer Cards, 22 X Ingredients Cards, 22 X Judges Scorecards
- An immersive realistic mystery game
- Unravel an Antarctic Murder: Investigate the murder of Polar Station head Robert Kohler and question the accusation against Martin Moor.
- Immersive Murder Mystery Case File: Dive into a thrilling narrative with realistic evidence, including victim and suspect photos, crime scene photos, newspaper articles, other case evidence, online hints and solutions.
- Crack the Case Like a Detective: In Murder Mystery Party Case Files, investigate motive, means, and opportunity to solve the murder, mirroring a real detective's approach.
- America's Beloved Mystery Game: Discover Murder Mystery Party, a favorite among true crime fans since 1985. Perfect for a dinner party with friends and family or even solve the murder on your own!
- MYSTERY BOARD GAME: A horrible crime was committed on the grounds of Warwick Manor thirty years ago. Now the mansion is haunted by the ghost of the murdered servant and it’s up to a group of psychic investigators to get to the bottom of the mystery.
- COOPERATIVE BOARD GAME: One player takes on the role of the victim (who is now a ghost) and the rest play as psychics. Over the course of the game, players work together to solve a mystery by psychically communicating with the victim. The ghost tries to lead psychics to the correct culprit.
- INTERPRET VISIONS TO SOLVE MYSTERIES: Each player investigates a case assigned to them to determine who the actual murderer is. Psychics receive numerous visions from the ghost with clues. Can they determine the weapon, location and killer, or will a violent criminal pull off the perfect murder?
- HIGH VARIABILITY: Dozens of different suspects, weapons and locations ensure no two games are the same! LOOKING FOR A NEW CHALLENGE? Expansion sets are available (Expansions require base game to play).
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS AND AVERAGE PLAYTIME: This family and adult board game can be played with 2 to 7 players. The average playtime is 45 minutes.
- Interactive Murder Mystery Game: It’s opening night on Broadway, and a big-shot producer turns up dead backstage! Find out what happened through thrilling hours of murder mystery madness in this immersive crime solving game!
- Play Virtually or In-Person: This mystery murder game includes a USB loaded with printable game files for you to print and play again! This mystery game kit includes two file formats for easy printing (if playing in person) or use on a computer/phone screen (if playing virtually).
- Flexible Number of Players: This hilarious murder mystery game includes 20 suspect characters for you and your guests to play. Choose to play with any number and combination of suspect roles for ultimate flexibility, and additional guests can play as detectives for an unlimited amount of fun!
- Created By Broadway Professionals: Our murder mystery games for adults and teens are developed by Broadway performers, writers, and talent. Naturally, each murder case game has a theatrical flair that both mystery and theater fans are sure to love!
- Proprietary Easy Evite Tool: We’ve developed a custom Evite tool to fully automate your invitation process. Simply input important party details, like the date, time and location and assign each guest a role. Then our tool sends your guests a customized invitation by email with the details of your event, their character assignment, costume suggestions with a link to purchase costumes on Amazon, and more!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.