8 best 6-player board games based on captivating themes and offering a modest level of difficulty, making them perfect for all age groups.
Board games are part of almost all family gatherings, parties, or overnight plans. Playing board games is one of those ancient hobbies of man that is still alive. Board games are the best way to spend time with your friends and family. An interesting and productive board game can add a lot of fun and excitement to any family event, gathering, or party.
Since board games are that famous among the masses, there is no shortage of choices, of course. However, finding a game that perfectly matches your skills and interest is a bit challenging. The conflict of interest and skill level affects your choice of best board games when there is a large group of players. In this review, we’ve got plenty of options that we found best for six people. Plus, a buying guide, in the end, will help you figure out the best 6-player board game.
Best 6-Player Board Games Top Picks
1. King of Tokyo
King of Tokyo is one of the most exciting strategy board games you can buy in 2023. The game can be played with 2-8 people, but it gets its perfect balance with 6 players. What we loved most about this game is its playing time -only thirty minutes. It means you can play many games in one sitting, each player getting maximum chances to win.
We found this game a bit harder to learn for new beginners, but thankfully the game comes with clear rules and regulations. In this game, you can take up the role of a monster or a giant robot, trying to become the king of Tokyo.
Your strategic moves or dice combination will help you heal wounds, get energy and punch other monsters. You can also use your special cards to invest your energy in activating special abilities. The player who will come up with the best dice combinations and moves will hit all monsters down and survive until the last age.
King of Tokyo is a flexible group game that can accommodate 2-8 players easily. The game has a short playtime that keeps the player’s interest alive and lets you play more games in one gathering. Although the game is a bit harder for beginners, it opens up new ways to learn and master the skill once you start playing.
2. Twilight Imperium 4th Edition Board Game
Twilight Imperium was first released in 1997 and was famous among strategy games lovers. In 2017, Fantasy Flight Games released its 4th edition with many changes making the game more engaging and exciting. The games are best for a group of six and include seventeen different factions from which you choose one to represent.
Having so many factions, the game is played differently every time, keeping the player’s interest alive in the game. The game is famous for its in-depth strategic mechanism, which requires you to take political, economic, technological, and military decisions. Due to its steep learning curve and complex strategies, the game is famous among veteran gamers.
However, beginners and teenagers may find this game a bit hard and boring. Also, the game has a long-play time which may take you as much as eight hours to complete one galactic conquest. The rules and regulations are simple and straightforward, but it may take you some time to memorize all of them.
Twilight Imperium 4th edition has undergone so many changes to make it more interesting and engaging. The game has got so many positive reviews from veteran gamers for the complexity and fun it offers.
3. Codenames: Pictures
Codenames Pictures is an easy, quick, yet interesting board game for 2-8 players. Players are divided into two teams, and the key to winning this game is cooperation, mutual understanding, and teamwork. Because of its modest level of complexity, twists, and curiosity, the game is ideal for kids above 10 and teenagers.
Each team has a spymaster, knowing all the grid positions of the agents. The spymaster conveys a message to the operatives in the form of a codename. The operatives need to decode and understand the information correctly to unveil their agent’s identities. If the information is decoded and processed incorrectly, you may have an unpleasant encounter with rivals’ spies or assassins.
The team keeps the turn until it keeps on guessing the card correctly. What I loved most about this game is its 10 minutes of playtime. This is probably the shortest board game that you can buy today. Although the game is ideal for 2-8 people, you can accommodate up to 15 people. The game has the same rules as the previous versions. The only difference is that this version uses pictures instead of texts.
Codenames Pictures is a game designed to engage a large crew of kids. The game has short playtime, interesting mechanisms, and easy-to-learn rules and can keep the kids engaged for hours. The game helps kids learn how to socialize and play their role in a team.
4. Colt Express
Colt Express is based on Wild West and is a unique and interesting board game. Most of the strategy games are based on wars and gaining military power, but this game is designed differently. In this game, players play as bandits, and the main goal is to rob the train and take away all the money. The player who successfully and steal all the money from the train becomes the winner.
The game splits into two parts: Scheme and steal. In the scheme, all the players lay down the cards from common piles. In the Stealing part, they arrange the cards and reveal them at different levels of the game. The game is based on bandits and marshalls.
If you want to win the game, you need to defeat all the bandits and marshall by using your special cards and abilities. What we really liked about this game is its beautiful artwork and intricate game parts. All the units, including cars and trains, are
and are beautifully designed, making them close to reality.
The average playtime for the Colt Express is around 40 minutes which is an ideal playtime for any strategy board game. Plus, the game offers a medium level of difficulty and well-defined rules, making it ideal for newbies.
5. 7 Wonders
7 wonders are one of the most famous strategy games available today. Since its release in 2010, the game is equally famous among the old-timers and newbies. The game is based on card-drafting games, and 3-7 people can play this game at once.
The game features a modest level of twists and complexity and requires the best strategy to win the game. It includes three rounds or ages in which each player gets the chance to play six cards. There is no ultimate way to win the game, and it also depends upon luck.
The game is about military victories, technological wins, and also getting the bonus point. At the end of all three ages, the player with more points and strength is the winner and gets the chance to dominate all seven cities.
7 wonders is a game that doesn’t get boring no matter how many times you play it. For maximum thrill and fun, it is recommended to play games with more than five players. The element of luck in the game increases the possibilities and opportunities for all players.
6. Stonemaier Games Between Two Cities
Between Two Cities is a tile drafting game that is designed for kids above 8 years. The game is played best with 6-7 people and is the best roleplay game based on strategy themes. This game relates back to the 1800s when the earth was being re-urbanized.
In this game, each player takes up the role of a city planner and uses all the resources to build the cities. The Game is more about teamwork and combat strategies rather than individual efforts. The average playtime for each game is around 20 minutes and can be played repeatedly in one gathering.
The game ends when all the cities are built, and the liability score for each city is counted. The liability score of the city depends upon the player’s strategies and ability to execute plans. The game is highly engaging for kids and helps them learn how to work in a team and make decisions.
If you are looking for a strategy-based board game for kids with a modest level of difficulty, Between Two Cities is the best option. The best thing about this game is that it can be played solo, between individual participants and teams.
7. Bezier Games One Night Ultimate Werewolf
One Night Ultimate Werewolf is one of the best family board games that is recommended for the age group of 14-50 years. It is an interesting game based on roleplay and guess-the-identity themes. The game can be played with 3-10 players, but it is best played with six players. In this game, you get a card that reveals which role you are going to play. You may get the role of a werewolf, a trouble maker, or a villager.
The players are divided into two groups, one helping the werewolf another helping the villagers. The game is all about revealing the identity of werewolves. In case the villagers guess all the werewolves correctly, they win the game. Otherwise, they lose. The game is divided into two phases, day and night.
In the day phase, characters like villagers, hunters, and tanners are supposed to move, while in the night phase, the werewolves and troublemakers move. The key to success is to make your moves cleverly, without getting your identity unveiled. The average playtime for the game is around 20 minutes making it highly replayable in one sitting. Also, the game never gets boring every time you get a new and different role.
Since the game is ideal for almost all games, it is the best way to spend quality time with teenagers. The game features a modest level of difficulty and is easy to learn for everyone, making it the best 6 player board game.
8. A Game of Thrones Boardgame Second Edition
If you are a Game Of Thrones fan and also a board gamer, the game is your perfect match. The game is based on HBO’s season Game Of Thrones that lets you create your own story in Westeros and come up with new strategies every time. The game is best for six players and can be designed differently every time you play. Each player takes the role of Lord, controlling one of the six houses of Westeros.
It would help if you had masterful diplomacy, the best strategy, and clever moves to get dominance over Wsteroes lands. On winning the points, you can add to your power resources from the power pool. While when you get defeated, you have to discard the power back to the Game’s power pool. Two players can make political alliances if they find it useful at any moment in the game.
The game is a bit complex for beginners and has a steep learning curve. The average playtime for this game is around three hours. The game is an ideal choice for veteran board gamers who love the games based on a deep strategic approach.
Game Of Thrones Board games has got positive feedback on almost all selling platforms. The Game has intricate artwork and a captivating design, making it even more interesting. Since the game offers in-depth strategy and complex mechanisms, the game is highly recommended for a group of veteran board gamers.
The board games are equally famous in this technologically advanced era as they were in the past. However, today there are more options than in the past, making it difficult for you to figure out the most exciting one. As the board games are played in groups, it is difficult to find a game that matches each player’s interest and skill level. This guide explains what you should keep in mind to find a game offering maximum fun and thrill.
Strategy based game totally depends on the skill level and presence of mind of the player. The victory in such games depends on how you plan the game and implement your strategy. The famous games of Star Wars, Chess, Go, and King of Tokyo are famous among serious gamers, but teenagers, kids, and seasonal players don’t find them much attractive.
Luck and Strategy
When the element of luck is added to a game, it may take the fun and thrill to new heights. The element of luck is added to the game by introducing dice and or a deck of cards. These elements diversify the game and increase the possibilities and opportunities for everyone. This theme is the most famous for board games and is loved by all age groups.
Length Of Playing Time
Length of playing time is one of the most critical features of any board game. For the people who play board games on special occasions like family gatherings or parties, playtime should not be more than 30 minutes. For beginners, especially for kids, long playtime is not suitable. Games with longer playtime get boring, and group members eventually lose interest.
The games with short playtime can be played repeatedly in one night, and everyone gets the maximum chances to win. King Of Tokyo and Codename-Pictures are examples of such games. However, veteran board gamers and experts love the games with long-play times.
These games involve in-depth strategies, multiple rounds, and ages and maybe take as long as 3-5 hours to complete one game. Game Of Thrones Board Game and Twilight Imperium are examples of such games.
The complexity of the rules and mechanics of the game is also important. Some games especially based on strategic themes, include complex mechanisms and numerous rules, making them hard to learn. Also, some simple games come up with too many rules that everyone cannot memorize.
To make the game fun and interesting for every player, you should go with the game with simple, straightforward, and minimum rules. The best example of such a game is Colt Express. The game has a limited number of well-defined rules that make it easier for everyone to learn the game.
The theme of the game and the level of complexity should be age-appropriate. For kids, you should look for more engaging, interesting, and simple themes. The Government also regulates all the toy manufacturers to label their products according to the appropriate age level of kids. Codenames and Sequence are ideal games for kids.
On the other hand, Game Of Thrones, Cosmic Intrusion, and Seven Wonders are ideal for teenagers and adults. Also, the board games designed for veteran gamers and adults are based on the themes such as robbery, battles, and destruction that may negatively affect young minds.
Always go with board games that can be played with different numbers of people. For example, getting a specific number of group members is always hard. Your game should be flexible enough to accommodate more than six people. Also, it should be flexible enough that you can play the game even when one or two group members are missing.
What board games should everyone have?
Game of Thrones, Twilight Imperium, King Of Tokyo, Go, and Clue are the classic board games that everyone should have. These games are famous for the excitement, thrill, fun, and curiosity they offer and are equally famous among veterans and beginner board gamers.
What is the most fun board game for a family?
One Night Ultimate WereWolf is the most fun game for a family. The game is ideal for people between 14-50 years and can be played with 3-10 players. The game is based on role play and guessing the identity theme. It’s a fast-paced game with twenty minutes of playtime and is equally loved by people of all ages.
What makes a good board game for kids?
The board games designed for kids should have short playtime, an easy learning process, and simple mechanisms. The games should be based on themes that enhance the creativity and decision-making power of the kids. Also, you should look for board games with easy setup and quick cleanup.
Board games let you enjoy hours of fun and excitement with your friends and family. We are hopeful that this review will help you figure out the most interesting, engaging, and captivating bard game for six people. All the products on our list are positively reviewed across all the online selling platforms; our top-three picks from the list are
Twilight Imperium 4th Edition Board Game for its interesting strategic theme, beautiful design and artwork, and ability to compete with various players
Bezier Games One Night Ultimate Werewolf for the modest level of difficulty, suitability for all ages, engaging mechanism, and beautiful design
A Game of Thrones Boardgame Second Edition for its interesting theme, beautiful artwork, the straightforward and limited number of rules
The playtime of the game and level of difficulty are the two most critical factors you should consider. For a large group like six people or more, you should look for a game offering the most level of difficulty to create a balance between the skill level of different players.
If these weren’t enough, check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- ♠️♦️ Strategy, Trickery, Nuts...and Mustaches! 🥸 ➟ Get ready for a one-of-a-kind strategy card game that will have you addicted almost immediately! Mustachio is a game of non-stop trickery (aka “trick-taking”), world domination, and mustaches... always mustaches...
- ✓ As Easy As 1,2,3! ✓ ▸ A fast action card game that can be learned in seconds and never gets boring! Perfect for families, kids, teens, and adults!
- ✅ Enjoy Our 100% Fun Factor Guarantee ✅ ▸ If for any reason Mustachio isn't an instant hit, just let us know via Amazon's messaging platform and we'll provide a full refund - no questions asked!
- ✚ A Game For Everyone! ✚ ‣ Finally...a card game that everyone can enjoy as well as the perfect entertaiment for any occasion! Works great as party games, games for couples date night, family games for game night, kids board games, teen board games, and more!
- 🎁 The Perfect Gift! 🎁 ‣ A gift that everyone will love! Guaranteed to bring countless laughs, strengthen relationships, and create some of the most unforgettable moments!
- THE ORIGINAL GUESSING GAME: This edition of the Guess Who? game features classic tabletop boards, 24 Mystery cards and 48 Face cards
- INTERACTIVE GAME FOR KIDS: Kids can have loads of fun as they use yes or no question to guess each other's mystery character
- CLASSIC GUESS WHO? GAMEPLAY: Remember playing the Guess Who? game when you were a kid? This guessing game features classic gameplay with updated characters from the previous edition
- UPDATED ART: This edition of the Guess Who? game features updated characters and character art not seen in previous versions
- THIS IS AN EXPANSION TO THE CATAN STRATEGY BOARD GAME BASE: You will need a CATAN Base Game in order to play with this expansion. In CATAN SEAFARERS, you control a group of bold seafaring settlers exploring and taming the wild, uncharted Isles of CATAN. Embark on an epic quest to settle the home island, build ships, and chart nearby waters
- FUN GAME WITH COUNTLESS REPLAY OPPORTUNITIES: The completely variable board provides great value through nearly limitless replayability. You will never have to play the same game twice. Looking for new adventures? Try CATAN expansions (Note: Expansions require CATAN base game to play)
- BUILD AND/OR JOIN A COMMUNITY: Whether you play as a family, a board game group, or via video conference as you stay at home, CATAN is a social game that provides plenty of opportunities for player interaction. You may even find yourself exploring the exciting world of CATAN tournaments
- MINUTES TO LEARN AND A LIFETIME TO EXPLORE: The basics of CATAN can be learned in just minutes, but it offers enough depth to remain compelling as you explore strategies and tactics for years to come
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS AND AVERAGE PLAYTIME: This family and adult board game can be played with 3 or 4 players. We also offer CATAN extension packs for 5-6 players as separate items. The average playtime is 60 minutes
- MIGHTY HEROES don’t just appear out of thin air - you must create them and prepare them for adventure!
- ROLL THE DICE: Draw and roll colorful dice, placing them on your character sheet to build your hero’s attributes.
- TAKE ACTION: Take an optional action for each die you place, gaining unique ways to improve your character!
- GEAR UP: Purchase cards from the market to add Traits, Skills, Weapons, and Armor to your hero.
- BECOME A LEGEND: Earn Reputation Stars for Attribute, Class, Alignment, Backstory, and Market Card goals.
- A twist on the classic battleship game: This battleship game features airplanes in addition to Ships for awesome strategic gameplay and epic battles
- Sink Ships and crash Planes: with this edition, fans of the battleship game can crash enemy Planes in addition to sinking Ships to win
- Portable Game: the battleship game includes 2 portable battle cases so players can take it with them, and Dive into an instant game on the go
- A childhood favorite: remember playing the battleship game as a kid. Kids and adults can enjoy playing this entertaining game together. It's also a great strategy game. Play it in the classroom
- Convenient storage: The game has convenient ship, plane, and peg storage on the side of the ocean grid
- CLASSIC BEGINNER GAME: Do you remember playing Candy Land when you were a kid? Introduce new generations to this sweet kids' board game
- RACE TO THE CASTLE: Players encounter all kinds of "delicious" surprises as they move their cute gingerbread man pawn around the path in a race to the castle
- NO READING REQUIRED TO PLAY: For kids ages 3 and up, Candy Land can be a great game for kids who haven't learned how to read yet
- GREAT GAME FOR LITTLE ONES: The Candy Land board game features colored cards, sweet destinations, and fun illustrations that kids love
- THRILLING MYSTERY GAME: In this game of deduction and bluffing set in Victorian London, five detectives chase the dangerous serial killer Jack the Ripper through the tangled streets and alleys of the Whitechapel district.
- COMPETITIVE AND COOPERATIVE: One player takes on the role of Jack and the rest play as detectives. Jack wins the game if he kills five victims without being caught. The detectives win if they catch Jack or stop him from reaching his hideout.
- COMPLEX STRATEGY GAME: A mental and pschological challenge, this game is divided into four nights, each with two parts and a number of different phases. Players must carefully make risky moves and find clues within a set number of turns.
- COUNTLESS REPLAY OPPORTUNITIES: With a one-against-five dynamic and optional rules to add extra challenges, no two games are ever the same. LOOKING FOR MORE ADVENTURES? Check out the other Whitehall Mystery games for game night.
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS AND AVERAGE PLAYTIME: This board game for teens and adults can be played with 2 to 5 players ages 13 and up. The average playtime is 90 minutes.
- Created by a 7 year old - Wildly popular board games for kids 8-12 and 6-8 plus from 6 up to adults
- Great Gift for Kids - Perfect family games for kids and adults. Great for Birthday gifts, Christmas gifts, Stocking stuffers for 2023
- Hours of Family Fun - Family Board Games for Family Night - Kids Board Games
- Easy To Learn and Quick to Play - Each game takes 15 minutes - For 2 to 4 players
- Over 1 million Games Sold - Loved by Boys, Girls, Families, Kids, Teens, Adults and Grandparents
- FUN FOR KIDS AND ADULTS: Santorini is a strategy-based board game that’s exhilarating and intellectually challenging! Play together and make family game night even more fun. This game is for 2-4 players, ages 8 and up.
- DEVELOP STRATEGY SKILLS: Play against an opponent or team up and play two against two. Race to build your way to the top of a stack of blocks! Use builder pieces and move one space in any direction.
- BUILD LIKE A MORTAL, WIN LIKE A GOD: Each player is dealt a God Card to be used strategically. When you find yourself in a tight spot, break or bend the rules! If you enjoy board games and Greek mythology, this is a must-have gift.
- SPIN MASTER PUZZLES, TOYS & GAMES: A world of jigsaw puzzles and the best family board games for kids, teens, and adults. Plus strategy games, card games, and classic board games like dominoes, mahjong, chess, or a backgammon set.
- ENTERTAINMENT FOR EVERYONE: Next time you get together with friends, bring along Spin Master board games, toys, or playing cards. We have activities for family game nights, birthdays, dinner parties, travel, holiday gifts, and whenever you just want to have a fun time.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.